Friday, May 23, 2008

Death of a hard drive

All kinds of exciting things are going on out here. We had the last field trip a couple of weekends ago, I've been editing a proposal, end of the quarter is coming, so that means I was overdue for a hard drive failure. So, the critical bits are intact, some things are missing, but mostly I realize how much I rely on having my own computer and the flexibility it gives me. Currently limping along on the department laptop and computer lab and annoyed with Apple Care....

Then there is the wildfire ~20 minutes from here. It was super windy yesterday, so this little fire that started yesterday morning grew quickly, but weather is better today (fire-wise) and just smells smoky. I walked out of the house this morning and had a flashback to late fall field work in SE China; they were burning the fields while we were there so every day had that acrid smell. Not such a happy situation for the folks in the mountains though. It sounds like there is a decent amount of property damage already, some evacuations and school closures. Here is a link to the Summit Fire info in case you're curious.

I'll post more in early June, once things are a little less hectic....

2 comments:

Trifarina said...

I hope you didn't lose too much data! My laptop went dead on wednesday and I was freaking out. Luckily I have McCarren care, way better than Apple care, and my brother helped me fix it. Good luck!

kes said...

Turns out I have Jonsson/Cooksey care which is also far superior to Apple Care. Have a new hard drive and will have to put everything back together next week. Yay!