Thursday, October 11, 2007

Summer's last hurrah

Ok, I feel like I can let go of summer, now that I had one last gorgeous weekend outside. I'm TA'ing for the field geology class this fall and we had our first field trip Saturday, to the exotic locality known as the "campus meadow." We wandered all over campus, and our brave students learned how to accurately locate themselves on a map while avoiding common field hazards. These included the meat cleaver, the random exercise equipment from the weight room, the temptation of the harvest festival at the campus farm and disgruntled cows. You know, the usual fare.

Geidy picking up some mad orientation skills Trying to get a little extra respect through sheer intimidation (ie, the cleaver in action)
I spent Sunday in San Francisco, where I caught one day of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. I can't say enough about this show; every year, Warren Hellman (of mayonnaise fame) spends a bunch of money and puts on 3-day bluegrass festival in the middle of Golden Gate Park, with some incredible acts, entirely free to the public. We planted ourselves in front of the Banjo stage and enjoyed Hazel Dickens, David Grisman, Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, and of course, Emmy Lou to finish out the day. It was sunny, we had cold beer and free music.

Kena, Hwakong and I are hardly strictly happy! When you find two empty PBR cans and a free CD waiting on your windshield, you know you had a good day.
Just in time; we had the first real rain Tuesday and they're calling for more.....

No comments: