Thursday, October 25, 2007

WWWD?

My friend Malea, who has been diligently politically active for as long as I've known her (and is now her career), sent many of us current and former Minnesotans a wonderful piece written in honor of the late Paul Wellstone, on the 5th anniversary of his death. I just wanted to pass it along, as we head into primary season, because the piece expresses a very timely sentiment. I remember the day I heard about the plane crash. I heard the voicemail from Mom telling me the news as I walked into the house and at the same time, heard Seth and Joel (two other Minnesota to Seattle transplants) asking me if I'd heard. I felt a long ways from home just then and had trouble explaining to people at work why it seemed like such a loss. So, I'm happy to share another person's much more eloquent synthesis of Wellstone's unique and effective take on the role of a politician.

As long as I'm on the political departure, I read an interesting study recently, forwarded by my advisor, on the role that fear plays, mostly subconsciously, in our voting habits. Very intriguing and quite frightening, but it puts a lot in perspective with regards to the last two elections. I can't post it, but if you're interested, let me know and I'll send you the pdf.

Never fear however, the blog will be returning with the usual fare of entertaining field stories after the weekend. We have our first 3-day field trip to the big mapping area, New Idria, and any time you go on a trip that requires caravaning with porta-potties in tow, there are bound to be some good stories.

No comments: